Friday, December 19, 2008

"What the #$%! is the internet?" - Jay

Well, I've fought the tides for as long as I can. But I am sick and tired of ideas simply sliding into the ether. While I do an alright job of jotting down notions I get during job talks, exciting lunch chats with Michael Lawrence, and provocations lobbed by J, I need to make sure that all these ideas and thoughts I have get recorded somehow, and that they also get tested in the marketplace of ideas.

A blog seems an inevitability at this point. What will I try to do with it? I will post thoughts I have for papers and discussions. I might occasionally post a close reading a an academic text I have been working on. I will probably ask for professional/academic advice, on the hope that intelligent colleagues will read this blog. I might occasionally link to something really funny or entertaining (like this).

So, enough with the boring stuff. Hopefully my time at home will allow me to post something shortly.

2 comments:

  1. Yet again...I feel inadequate in the face of your academic prowess. I can't sustain my attention long enough to do one of these. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog is also arguably a new element of the job application package (making it particularly important to refrain from mixing business and pleasure, so to speak).

    ReplyDelete